Wednesday, November 27, 2013

WEEK 82- Mission tour



So, this week was SUPER exciting!! Elder Teh from the first quorum of the seventy came to tour our mission and it was incredible! I'll give you a blow-by-blow of the week...

So, Tuesday was when it all began. We started off busily preparing for Elder Teh's arrival. The office staff was hustling all about like elves on Christmas eve getting everything ready to go. It was amazing! The office looked so nice!! That evening, President asked Elder Cluff and I to be in the office a little before their arrival working on other things so we would just be there when they arrived. After picking up Elder and Sister Teh from the airport, President and Sister Riggs met us at the office and we began by meeting with the six of us. We talked a little bit about what was going on in the mission and then we were kicked out so the four of them could talk. After that, Elder Cluff was interviewed. As we were waiting outside, President pulled me aside. "You know what?" he said, "This is probably not going to be a very common to interview one-on-one with a general authority on your mission. Why don't you step into my office and close the door so you can prayerfully gather your thoughts?" So I had the opportunity to come up with a couple questions I had and just prepare myself spiritually to talk with Elder Teh. After that, I was up! He asked me a little bit about my family and mission, a little bit about the mission as a whole, then asked if I had any questions for him. It was really neat to have some of my questions answered (or at least to be pointed in the right direction).

Wednesday morning, we were up bright and early for our first of three conferences with Elder Teh. This was the biggest one, we had four zones in attendance, and we really got to just bask in the Spirit. It was incredible. Each conference started with a leadership portion, then we went to meet with all of the missionaries.

Thursday was similar to Wednesday, with the next three zones. My notebook is absolutely full!! haha things I missed the first day were filled the second. It was incredible.

Friday was by far the coolest. Our last three zones met with Elder Teh, but this time, everything that was said by a person was already in my notebook! So, on day three, my notes consisted purely of things the Spirit whispered to me. I'd heard the words, but there were things the Lord needed me to learn that I hadn't yet.

Friday afternoon after the conferences and our concluding meeting with the Tehs, the Riggs dropped them off at the airport. As they were dropping them off, Elder Teh told President that these conferences were intended to be zone conferences. "what?!" haha Nobody had told President! So he was busting his back trying to still hold 10 more zone conferences! haha So, they were all cancelled! Which means Elder Cluff and I get to do tons and tons of normal missionary work! Our schedules are wide open now! haha it was funny, our whole transfer was scheduled for us, literally, and suddenly we had nothing. There was this moment of "Wow, what do we do now?...." "I guess we could just... I don't know, do missionary work..." *lightbulb* "YES!!!" haha, so we're pumped! We met with our Bishop immediately and are just hitting the pavement with our ward. We want to take advantage of this time before transfers and holidays set in again... haha

Yesterday, our organist didn't show up to church, so the bishopbric asked me to accompany the ward. Now they all know I play, and I've now been asked to play for the Christmas program in a few weeks, to accompany some singers at the ward Christmas party, and I've been warned I may be asked to accompany the ward choir for a number too... haha I don't know when I'm going to practice :P but LOVE playing again.

This week, for Thanksgiving, our Bishop invited us over, so that will be way fun!

We currently have 3 sisters serving in the ward with us. Sister McCormick was proclaiming the gospel too enthusiastically or something and strained her vocal chords... Whatever happened, the doctors say she can't speak for 2 weeks. Fortunately, the Lord put a trio of sisters in the zone this transfer, so we just pulled one of them over!

Lets, see.... other exciting things happening... Well, missionary work... haha We're slowly figuring out this whole online proselyting thing...  We get our iPads and iPhones on December 11th along with the rest of the mission leadership council. We haven't been told when the rest of the mission is getting them. Likely the next week when the zone leaders can train them...

But yeah! That was our week was the mission tour. It was an incredible opportunity to have and hear from a general authority, and my notebook is stacked!  

Love you all! Until next week!

-Elder Matt

we have asked our children to send us pictures for the Christmas card....hhhmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment